Advanced Comic Book Format (ACBF) specification is a distribution and interchange format for digital comic books. ACBF specification defines a means of representing structured and semanticaly enhanced content used in comic books. In contrast to widely used Comic Book Archive (CBR, CBZ …), content is represented in separate graphic and text layer(s) as well as comic book metadata is present.
Some of the properties of ACBF are:
• Definition of comic book metadata (title, authors, genres ...)
• Definition of comic book structure (pages, frames) as well as order in which they follow
• Indexing of comic book pages (creation of Table of Contents upon page title)
• Definition of text layer separate from background graphics as well as reading order of text areas in it
• Definition of semantics on the text layer (e.g. emphasis, code, speech, commentary …)
• Support for more text layers in one document (translations to different languages)
ACBF aims to be used as a digital comic book format that is able to properly represent any comic books content and at the same time be suitable for automatic processing, indexing, comic book collection management and conversion into other formats.
ACBF is an extension of XML. Some inspiration regarding meta-data and semantics of the text layer comes from Fictionbook (file format that is used for electronic books distribution) and ACV 2 (comic book format used by Droid Comic Viewer).
ACBF does not use any kind of DRM (Digital Rights Management) and all specifications are open.
ACBF Tools and Related ApplicationsEdit
This section links to pages with description of various tools and ACBF related applications.
- ACBF Viewer - is a viewer application capable of reading ACBF and CBZ file formats. It is written in python. Currently there are versions for Linux and Windows.
- mkacbf - is an ACBF file creation utility in the traditional UNIX form. You can create acbf file from command-line interface with it. Works under Linux.
- ComicsList- is a spreadsheet document that can be used to create ACBF metadata files easily.
How To DocumentsEdit
This section links to various pages describing creation of ACBF files, which tools to use and how to do it easily.
- How to create simple ACBF comic book - this How To describes the creation of CBZ comic book file with embedded *.acbf file which contains various comic book metadata.
- How to create frames and text areas in ACBF - this How To describes the creation of frames/panels and text areas using Inkscape.